Thailand Palace Local for newspapers (1875)

In September of 1875 Prince Bhanurangsi with the help of 10 other young princes organized the editorial of a daily newspaper, the ‘Court’, later renamed the ‘Official News’.thailand_palace_local_for_newspaper_1875Initially these papers were picked up or delivered by hand to the subscribers houses every day. Subsequently he printed the newspapers adhesive stamps, he called the ‘Stamp Tickets’ with perforations so that they could be torn from the sheets individually. They sold for 1 att each. This ‘Stamp Ticket’ could be called the first local postage stamp of Siam and was the origin of the first local post in Bangkok. These stamps were affixed to the newspaper as well as on any letters carried by the postman as an additional service carried out for the subscribers.

Prince Bhanurangsi’s stamp tickets had 2 different designs:
Type 1: The design was copied from the illustration on the top of the first issue of the newspaper. There were several sizes of stamps and the perforations were rather crude. In the middle an oval frame surrounding a portrait of the prince and the words “Rising P” beneath.
Type 2: This was a modified version of Type 1 stamp. The profile was changed and the words “one att” in Thai script were added above the image and the words “Payment for Delivery” beneath and the letters “B” and “P” to either side.

Both types of stamps were issued in a variety of colors, light or dark red on yellowish or creamy paper. Brown or green on white paper. The stamps were canceled by signing initials in black fountain pen ink, hand stamped with bulls eye design in black ink, or hand stamped in black circular design with Chinese Characters in the middle. The stamps were normally stuck on the back of the envelopes and signed by the sender.thailand_palace_local_1875source: http://www.ramastamps.com/